Thursday, February 12, 2009

Doctor's Appointments

We have had both doctor's appointments this week. They were pretty uneventful! We saw Dr. Owen on Monday. My blood pressure was 110/70 and my belly measured 37 weeks. That's pretty much full term with a singleton! The heartrates sounded great and I had lost 4 pounds. I've had the chest and sinus crud pretty badly, so she did give me some antibiotics for that since everything else were trying short of medicine wasn't working.

The ultrasound with Dr. Hales was on Tuesday. The boy measured 2 pounds 14 ounces, and the girl measured 2 pounds 11 ounces. I was very concerned about this as it didn't seem like they had gained enough since the last appointment. But--it was a different ultrasound tech and their measurement points could have been slightly off. Kodi had to remind me that this is just an estimate! Either way, that is still about 2 weeks ahead and everyone was pleased with that. They had changed positions--the boy is now laying transverse, or horizontal across the left side of my belly. The girl--who has ALWAYS been head down--is now breech--and laying at an angle from the top right to the bottom left of my belly. It really doesn't matter for the delivery since we'll be having a c-section, but it sure does make it hard for me to tell who is who! Evidently I didn't have a blood pressure at Dr. Hales' office as they tried to take it 4 times and couldn't get a reading. They just said that my reading from the day before was ok.

Dr. Hales' comment from the appointment was, "It's about as perfect as we could ask for." So, that is a big relief. He doesn't see any reason why we can't make it to 37 weeks, but he also made sure that Kodi and I understood that anything can change in a heartbeat.

My last day to work--right now--is March 13th. Both doctors were very relieved that I had narrowed down a date...I had been avoiding it for quite a while so that I could just see how I felt. But--they were about to the point where they were going to mandate my stopping work if I didn't make up my mind. This DOES NOT mean bed rest, but just means rest and relaxation.

I will see Dr. Owen again in 2 weeks--February 23--at which we will most likely be starting steriod shots to mature the babies' lungs in the event that they are born early. The next ultrasound will be on March 3rd.

It's so hard to believe we are this close--the time will just fly by and then they'll be here!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm so glad that they both are doing so well. I can't wait to see them! I had to get those steroid shots with Noah. Yuck! It's worth it though...

Carri said...

It is getting really close! I'm so glad everything is looking good...you will have to fill us in on nursery details...pictures, too!

The Kacal Family said...

I meant to tell you and I keep forgetting that the other girl I know who is having twins and is due on the same day as you...had her ultrasound the day after you. Michelle said her boy weighed 2lbs 4oz and girl weighed 1 lb 14 oz. She sees Atkinson but was told the size was right on... so I am still absolutely amazed at how big they are. I cannot believe it is only 8 weeks!!! 2 months! I am just so happy for you guys!!! Can't wait to watch the triplets play together!